Located beneath the Mémorial de Caen museum, this command post played a crucial role during the Occupation and the Battle of Normandy. A new display present the military aspects of the German occupation, as well as the history of the Atlantic Wall, from its construction to its role during the D-Day Landings.
The Caen Mémorial museum was inaugurated on 6 June 1988 and was built on top of an underground gallery which contained the command post of Generalmajor Wilhelm Richter, commander of the 716th German infantry division, which guarded the coastal sector from Omaha to the mouth of the Orne. In 1943, the German commander decided to base his general headquarters in this former quarry, which had previously been used as a firing range by the French Army.
A tunnel measuring 70 metres long and 3 metres tall was dug in the limestone rock. The Allies were aware that this structure existed thanks to information provided by the French Resistance.